The semester grade will be determined by:
Unit tests 100 pts each
Unit Homework 20pts each
Final Exam 200pts
90-100% = A
80- 89% = B
70- 79% = C
60- 69% = D
0- 59% = F
1. Students demonstrate the required behavior on written
examinations over the objectives.
2. No "retest" examinations will be given.
3. Exams are to be taken at the time specified.
1. Homework will be assigned to help the student learn the
2. Homework is due at the time specified by the instructor.
Late homework will not be accepted.
|Students are expected to attend all classes.|
1. Behavior that interferes with the learning process will not be
2. Dishonest work will result in an F for the course.
3. No cell phones or electronic music devices are allowed
during class time. Calculators are permitted for some
Order of Operations
Real Number System
Properties of Real Numbers
Addition and Multiplication Properties
Applications and Formulas
Ratios and Proportions
Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Graphing,
Substitution, or Elimination
Solving Systems of Linear Inequalities
Add and Subtract, Multiply and Divide Polynomials
Product Rule, Division Rule, and Power Rules for
Solving Quadratic Equations and Inequalities
Add and Subtract, Multiply and Divide Rational
Add and Subtract, Multiply and Divide Radicals
Simplify Radical Expressions
Solving Radical Equations
Solving Quadratic Equations by: Square Root
Property, Completing the Square, and the
|Day 40||Final Test|
This syllabus is subject to revision with prior
notification to the student by the
|ADD, SUBTRACT, MULTIPLY AND DIVIDE SIGNED NUMBERS|
1. Apply the rules of addition, subtraction,
multiplication and division to fractions.
2. Apply the rules of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division to decimals.
3. Convert percents to decimals and vice versa.
4. Know the meaning of the five inequalities.
5. Find the value of algebraic expressions, given values for the variables.
6. Identify natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational, and irrational.
7. Apply the rules of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division to signed numbers.
8. Use the order of operation with real numbers.
9. Interpret words and phrases that indicate subtraction, multiplication and division.
10. Evaluate expressions that use variables.
11. Simplify numerical expressions.
12. Translate sentences into equations.
13. Identify the use of the commutative, associative, identity, inverse, and distributive
|SOLVE EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES|
14. Identify and solve linear equations by using the
properties of equality.
15. Translate sentences of a word problem into a equation, and then solve the problem.
16. Use a formula to solve a word problem.
17. Solve ratio and proportion problems.
18. Graph inequalities on a number line.
19. Use the addition and multiplication property of inequality.
|ADD, SUBTRACT, MULTIPLY AND DIVIDE POLYNOMIAL EXPRESSIONS|
20. Apply the rules of exponents for any situation.
21. Use zero and negative numbers as exponents.
22. Express numbers in scientific notation.
23. Identify terms and coefficients.
24. Know the vocabulary for polynomials.
25. Calculate the sum or difference of polynomials.
26. Multiply any polynomial situation.
27. Divide a polynomial by either a monomial or polynomial.
|FACTOR POLYNOMIAL EXPRESSIONS|
28. Identify prime numbers and prime factorization.
29. Factor out the greatest common factor.
30. Factor by grouping.
31. Factor any trinomial regardless of the lead coefficient.
32. Factor the difference of two squares.
33. Factor the sum or difference of cubes.
34. Solve quadratic equations by factoring.
35. Solve word problems involving area, perimeter, and consecutive integers.
|SIMPLIFY AND SOLVE RATIONAL EXPRESSIONS|
36. Find the values of a variable for which a rational
expression is undefined.
37. Write rational expressions in lowest terms.
38. Multiply and divide rational expressions.
39. Rewrite rational expressions with the least common denominator.
40. Add and subtract rational expressions regardless of the denominators.
41. Simplify complex fractions.
42. Solve equations involving rational expressions.
43. Solve word problems about distance, work, and variation using rational expressions.
|GRAPH LINEAR EQUATIONS|
44. Write a solution as an ordered pair.
45. Complete ordered pairs for a given equation.
46. Plot ordered pairs.
47. Find x and y intercepts for a line.
48. Graph linear equations.
49. Fine the slope of a line.
50. Use slope to determine the planar relationship of two lines.
51. Write the equation of a line regardless of supplied information.
52. Graph linear inequalities.
|SIMPLIFY AND SOLVE RADICAL EXPRESSIONS|
53. Find square roots.
54. Use the Pythagorean formula.
55. Simplify radical expressions and quotients.
56. Multiply radicals.
57. Add and subtract radical expressions.
58. Write radicals in simplified form.
59. Rationalize denominators.
60. Simplify radical expressions with sums, products, and quotients.
61. Solve equations with radicals.
62. Identify extraneous solutions.