Test Y10 (10 problems) -- This review may be
completed after working the assignments listed in the
1. Domain of a Rational Function
Find the domain of each rational function.
2. Products of Rational Expressions
Multiply. Write the answer in lowest terms.
3. Quotients of Rational Expressions
Divide. Write the answer in lowest terms.
4. Addition and Subtraction of Rational Expressions
Perform the indicated operations. Write the answer in lowest terms.
5. Simplifying Expressions With Negative Exponents
Simplify each expression. Write answers with positive exponents.
6. Dividing Polynomials and Checking Solution
For each of the following, divide and check algebraically. Show all work.
7. Solving Equations Containing Rational Expressions
Solve each equation.
8. Solving Formulas for a Specified Variable
Solve each equation for the variable .
9. Rational Equations and Problem Solving
For each problem, define the variable(s), translate into a mathematical model and solve.
Interpret the results. Include correct units.
Alyssa can weed the garden in two hours. It takes Cole 3 hours to weed the same garden.
How long would it take to weed the garden if they work together?
10. Rational Equations and Problem Solving
For each problem, define the variable(s), translate into a mathematical model and
solve. Interpret the results. Include correct units.
a. A plane flying at a speed in still air of 300 mph travels 1065 miles with the wind in the
same amount of time it takes to fly 735 miles against the wind. Find the rate of the wind.
b. The speed of train A is 20 mph slower than train B. Train A travels 150 miles in the
same amount of time it takes train B to travel 210 miles. Find the speed of train B.
Math in Action [Math 115] Test Y10 Review Answers
9. t= time to weed the garden if Cole and Alyssa work together
Together, they can weed the garden in or hours.
10.a. w=the rate of the wind
The rate of the wind is 55 mph.
b. x= the speed of train B
Train B is traveling at 70mph